Local History Room
The Local History Room contains books, maps, photographs, scrapbooks and other material pertaining to the history and everyday life of the residents of the Tuxedo/TuxedoPark community. The Local History Room may be used during Library hours by request and is open to residents and non-residents. You do not need to have a library card to do research. The Local History collection does not circulate. Photocopy service is available for most items at a cost of .30 cents per page.
Local History Room Contact
As part of the Hudson River Valley Heritage cooperative (HRVH), historical materials from the Tuxedo Park Library Local History Collection have been digitized and are accessible on the
New York Heritage Digital Collections, click here.
Nearly 150 images from the Library’s collection are available on the site currently, with several hundred more anticipated by the end of the year. Collections include a Militia Enrollment List from 1888-1917, Historical Images from the Sterling Mines, Atlases of Orange County, NY from 1875 and 1903, hundreds of historical photographs of the people and places of Tuxedo, historical maps, and ledgers of the Sterling Iron & Rail Company dating from the 1860s.
The Hudson River Valley Heritage is dedicated to creating and administering this unique resource for unlimited online access to the repository of historical materials in digital format about the Hudson River Valley Region. Spearheaded by the Southeastern New York Library Resources Council (SENYLRC), this collaborative initiative between SENYLRC and libraries, historical societies and cultural institutions in the region will endure for generations, providing unparalleled access to a vast realm of historical artifacts.
The Tuxedo Park Library is currently one of 27 institutions in the Hudson Valley committed to identifying and archiving valuable artifacts and materials in their collection, and providing access to those materials via HRVH.
The digital collections of the Tuxedo Park Library and other participating institutions can be accessed via the New York Heritage Digital Collections
Individuals and institutions wishing to receive reproduced images from the collection of the Tuxedo Park Library must submit a request in writing. Fees may be associated with use of the images.
Usage is predicated on the following:
• Requestor must complete and submit our Image Usage & Reproduction Request Form.
• The permission granted is for a one-time use of the image, as indicated by the requestor on the Image Usage & Reproduction Request Form.
• Subsequent usage must be requested in writing, and is subject to additional fees.
• The requestor may not make any derivative copies of the image.
• The image may not be loaned, sold or given to any commercial agency, person or organization.
• The integrity of the image must be maintained. Use of the image within a context that is misleading or defamatory is not permitted.
• In granting permission to the requestor, the Tuxedo Park Library does not surrender its own right to use the image or grant others permission to use them.
• The use of the material in publication (in print or electronic form) complies with any donor agreements that may be attached to the materials.
• The use of the material in publication (in print or electronic form) complies with copyright restrictions.
• A copy of the published work containing the image must be given to the Tuxedo Park Library free of charge.
• The image should be cited as follows: “Tuxedo Park Library, Tuxedo Park, NY.”
• $10 per image for not-for-profit institutions, personal use, private research and scholarly use (school report or dissertation).
• $20 per image for use on a personal website or exhibition.
• $50 per image for publication (in print or electronic form) in a book, journal, magazine or commercial website.
• Fees cover cost of DVD, and delivery of item via US mail. Express delivery will incur additional cost.
• Payment is due prior to release of images.
Some requested works which are physically owned by the Tuxedo Park Library may be protected by copyright, trademark or related interests not associated with the Tuxedo Park Library. The responsibility for determining whether any such intangible rights exist, for obtaining all necessary permissions, and for guarding against the infringement of those rights that may be held elsewhere, remains with the requestor.
This collection is representative of items contained in the Local History Room of the Tuxedo Park Library, including photographs, maps, scrapbooks and other materials pertaining to the history and everyday life of residents of the Town of Tuxedo.
All Tuxedo Park Library Collections. Click here.
Sterling Mines Collection
Photographs of the mines built by the Sterling Mines Company during the 1920s. Scenes include machinery, digs and other industry-related images, as well as images of the workers and their families. Click here.
Orange County Atlas Collection
The F.W. Beers County Atlas of Orange County from 1875 and the A.H. Muller Atlas of Orange County, New York from 1903. Click here.
Militia Enrollment Scrapbook 1888-1917
Listing of names, addresses, dates of birth, occupations, battalions, and service dates for Town of Tuxedo service personnel. Click here.
Local History Room Map Collection
Oversized maps (approx. 23″x21″ in their original form) related to the Town of Tuxedo and Orange County. Included are original and reproduction maps spanning 1859 to the late 1980s. Click here.
Sterling Iron & Railway Company Correspondence Collection
Approximately 300 pages of correspondence sent to the Sterling Iron & Rail Co. during the years 1865 and 1874. All manner of subjects related to the procurement and disbursement of supplies. Click here.
Vertical File Photograph of Tuxedo Collection
Twentieth century images of the people, places and events that bring the history of Tuxedo alive. Click here.
Village of Tuxedo Park National Register of Historic Places Inventory Collection
The Village of Tuxedo Park was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. This collection includes reproductions of the original Building-Structure Inventory Forms, which list location, photographs, historical significance and owners of the property in 1977, when the Inventory Forms were compiled. These images are scans of poor quality photocopies. Click here.
Mystery Photograph Collection
Please help us identify these images! If you can help, please submit a comment with any details you may have, along with your contact information. Click here